2.5Gbps SFP Laser Transceiver
The MAX24002 is a complete laser driver transmitter and limiting amplifier receiver for use within fiber optic modules for SFP applications. A fully compliant SFP module with digital diagnostics is realized when used with a 2KB EEPROM and suitable optics. Alternatively, a microcontroller is used in conjunction with the MAX24002; however, this is not a necessity to achieve SFF-8472 compliance.
The 2.5Gbps limiting receive path features programmable output swing control, rate selection, and OMA-based loss-of-signal detection. Functions are also provided that facilitate the implementation of APD biasing without the need for an external DC-DC converter.
The laser driver has temperature-compensated modulation control using a lookup table. Closed-loop control of laser power incorporates tracking error compensation. This is linked to a laser safety system which allows the modulation and bias currents to be shut off in response to a range of different fault conditions detected on-chip.
The MAX24002 is highly configurable from either EEPROM or a low-cost microcontroller using a two-wire interface.
- 1.25Gbps to 2.5Gbps Limiting Receiver
- Integrated APD Bias Loop with Overvoltage and Overcurrent Protection
- OMA-Based LOS Detection
- 1.25Gbps to 2.5Gbps Laser Driver
- CML, LVPECL-Compatible Inputs
- Open and Closed-Loop Bias Control
- Temperature-Compensated IMOD Control
- Highly Configurable Laser Safety System
- SFP MSA and SFF-8472 Digital Diagnostics
- Integrated Temperature Sensor
- External DAC, ADC, and PWM Interfaces