5Mbit UART with 16-byte FIFOs
The SC16C2552B is a two channel Universal Asynchronous Receiver and Transmitter (UART) used for serial data communications. Its principal function is to convert parallel data into serial data, and vice versa. The UART can handle serial data rates up to 5 Mbit/s.
The SC16C2552B is pin compatible with the PC16552 and ST16C2552. The SC16C2552B provides enhanced UART functions with 16-byte FIFOs, modem control interface, DMA mode data transfer and concurrent writes to control registers of both channels. The DMA mode data transfer is controlled by the FIFO trigger levels and the 1and 1signals. On-board status registers provide the user with error indications and operational status. System interrupts and modem control features may be tailored by software to meet specific user requirements. An internal loopback capability allows on-board diagnostics. Independent programmable baud rate generators are provided to select transmit and receive baud rates.
The SC16C2552B operates at 5 V, 3.3 V and 2.5 V and the industrial temperature range, and is available in a plastic PLCC44 package.
Features and benefits
- Industrial temperature range (-40 Cel to +85 Cel)
- 5 V, 3.3 V and 2.5 V operation
- Pin-to-pin compatible to PC16C552, ST16C2552
- Up to 5 Mbit/s data rate at 5 V and 3.3 V, and 3 Mbit/s at 2.5 V
- 5 V tolerant on input only pins
- 16-byte transmit FIFO
- 16-byte receive FIFO with error flags
- Independent transmit and receive UART control
- Four selectable receive FIFO interrupt trigger levels; fixed transmit FIFO interrupt trigger level
- Modem control functions (1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1)
- DMA operation and DMA monitoring via package I/O pins, 1/1
- UART internal register sections A and B may be written to concurrently
- Multi-function output allows more package functions with fewer I/O pins
- Programmable character lengths (5, 6, 7, 8), with even, odd, or no parity